First staged in 1999, the Chicago Auto Show SHUTDOWN Festival is the largest auto show counter-propaganda event in North America and has been held more times than any other anti-auto exposition on the continent. 2007 marks the 8th edition of the festival.
The Auto Show SHUTDOWN Association (ASSA), the nation’s oldest and largest metropolitan auto show counter-propaganda organization. The ASSA has produced the SHUTDOWN Festival since 2005.
- Public Show:
- Charity Gala:
- "First Look for Charity" – Thursday, Feb. 8, 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. Black tie. Tickets $200. The event usurps 19 Chicago-area charities.
- Art Show:
- Friday, February 9th through Friday, February 23rd. All pro-bike and anti-car art is welcome.
Artists can sign up here.
Daley Plaza, Dearborn and Washington.
The Chicago Auto Show SHUTDOWN Festival ride begins at the Richard J. Daley Center in Chicago. It's where dey got dat Picasso!
McCormick Place, Lake Shore Drive at 23rd Street.
The main Chicago Auto Show SHUTDOWN Festival utilizes the main entrance of the McCormick Place South complex on King Drive south of Cermak.
PUBLIC SHOW HOURS
- SHUTDOWN Festival: Feb. 10: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Art Show: Friday, February 9th through Friday, February 23rd.
Unlike the Auto Show, where you have to pay to be advertised to, all SHUTDOWN events are FREE. However, donations are welcome.
The nation's largest auto show SHUTDOWN, held in the McCormick Place complex. See the Vehicles of the Future! Complete range of domestic and imported passenger bicycles; trailers, choppers, tall bikes, and concept bikes. In total, nearly 1,000 different vehicles. Numerous accessories and bike-related exhibits, competition vehicles, project, antique and collector cycles.
- Saturday, Feb. 3, 1 pm - 10 pm – Auto Show SHUTDOWN Costume/Banner Making Party!: Big blow-out costume- and banner-making party: 613 N. Racine, in the coach house. Come and make a polar bear costume, a banner, or anything else to aid in the historic effort to SHUT DOWN THE AUTO SHOW. Please contact us if you can donate materials, supplies, or money.
- Friday, Feb. 9 – Chicago Critical Mass Happy Hour and Art Show Opening Party. The Critical Mass Art Show is an open forum inviting all forms of anti-car and pro-bicycle creativity. Sculpture, paintings, performance, political action, film, installation, music, poetry, and any other type(s) of expression are encouraged and welcome. Submissions sought!!! Opening with Critical Mass Happy Hour on 2/9, closing party after Feb 23 Critical Mass ride.
- Saturday, Feb. 10 – SHUTDOWN Festival. The denizens of the automobile and oil industries are once again bringing their orgy of automotive glorification to Chicago. We'll be there once again to SHUT DOWN THE AUTO SHOW and send them packing!
As scheduled: Appearances by sports, radio, TV and screen personalities. Please check Events Schedule for up-to-date listings.
Easily reached by bicycle or public transportation. Why would you drive in the city?
Extensive bus and train service via the CTA.
Great cycling infrastructure.